Sunday, May 30, 2010

Katie's Influence

I have been wondering for awhile just how much influence my friend Katie has over me. Well today I decided it was a lot! Over the past few weeks I've slowly been trying to do more in the kitchen, something I've NEVER given that much thought to. I started spending time at Anderson's and things started to change...slowly. Now I'm not saying I want to be a chef or anything but I'm not as against cooking as I once was. I still don't like it very much but Katie has been influencing me a little bit everyday over the past year and a half. I have learned interesting things by watching her cook and work in the kitchen. I have actually used some of the techniques I've seen done in her house. Oh and even though I've picked up a few things from her, I still burn myself ALL THE TIME!
This little reality hit me today while I was making brownies. I've been making brownies for a couple years now but I've never bothered to try anything different with them. Well when I opened up my mom's recipe book to the brownie page, my mom had a swirl brownie recipe below her regular brownies so I thought about trying it. A couple of months ago I wouldn't even have considered doing it but today was different. I was a little intrigued.
I happened to be talking to Katie via text message so I told her about it and she encouraged me to do it. I of course gave her a hard time saying she only wanted me to do it so she could have some when I was done!
When all was said and done I decided to give it a shot and I've gotta say they weren't bad at all! I took some over to Katie, because every now and then I am nice like that! :) My finished product!!! Oh and I didn't burn myself today either, but that is because my mom is the one who took them out of the oven! :)On my list of "Influences by Katie" this is definitely the most shocking one and it took me by surprise but it has been an interesting learning experience. Every influence that is on the list is a good one. They help me broaden my horizon's and look at things from a different angle. I have seen things (big and small) in me change for the better through Katie's influence. It is amazing to me just how many things are on this list and how often I am able to add another one. With that said I do want to clarify something...I don't actually have a list of "Influences by Katie." I might be weird but I wouldn't really write that down! :)
Katie, thank-you for influencing me in so many ways. You are an amazing friend. I'm glad you enjoyed the brownies! :)

5 comments:

Logan Bradley said...

I was just about to ask you if I could see the list of "Influences by Katie" :) It wouldn't surprise me at all if you ended up writing that list.

Deverie said...

Oh what you think you know me so well Logan? ;)

Logan Bradley said...

I do know you so well! :)

Deverie said...

Ya that's what I just said! :)

katie said...

You are getting better at cooking and oh so brave. The brownies were very yummy!! I'll encourage cooking brownies maybe carmel next time ;)